Today I Am

My Unkymood Punkymood (Unkymoods)

Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Learning...

I am constantly learning new things! I thought I was familiar with living in Dhaka but hell - there is so much social responsibility that I may have a hard time assimilating! Tonight is shabebaraat - the praying of all night 15 days prior to beginning of Ramadaan. Well - the custom is each family sends out Halwa (mashed sweet) and bread or roti to other family/friends homes! So this morning we recived two plates of halwa from Cal's cousin and uncle with 4 diff types of halwa! I didn't know this and was made aware by my aunt. When i told her I didn't know how to make halwa she suggested I make Tehari instead and pass that around. Tehari is pulao rice and mutton/beef cooked together eaten with a fresh salad. I spoke to Cal about it and it made sense to us since all were making sweets we would send smth different. Well - it takes forever to cook enough for 20 people on 2 burners! I should have started last night but we started this morning and we are no where near done even cooking the first batch of meat and its already noon! I guess we will be passing out our food in the evening. We are planning on sending to 7 homes. Everyone sent us a little bit of food since how much food can 2-3 people eat... but we have to send double cause each house has min of 4 members and max of 7!

Its not only tedious but also expensive venture and its not the end. Sometime in the next 15 days I have to potato chops for Cal's office - thats abt 60 employees - so abt 120 chops! Then is Ramadaana nd occasionally we have to send food to one house or another and not to mention Eid after Ramadaan which means new clothes for our servants and gifts for family - like a sari for my grandmother and his oldest aunt, etc... Sheesh!!! When are we gonna end up buying our fridge, microwave, bedroom furniture for our apt - I don't know!

Ok enough bitching for one post! I should go check up on the cook to see what damage he is causing...

No comments:

Post a Comment