Today I Am

My Unkymood Punkymood (Unkymoods)

Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Coming Home...

I haven't visited my mother's house in close to 5 months. And dang! I really missed my mom's cooking. Since I came home she made fried fish (salmon), chicken curry, dal, vegetables...Yum yum yum diggers!! There really is nothing like a meal cooked by your mother!! But, it does come with a price...she had shown signs of backing off the whole "we need to get you married..." deal but looks like she is back on it.

Before it was 27-29 yr olds who were apparently very much like me and she would set up the "dates" and then laugh when i told her that he was a total dud. Then it went through a phase of...don't marry a desi, they won't get you...find yourself a nice Italian boy (don't ask..my mom is a unique creature) then it went into..."i understand marriage isn't a priority as long as u are happy, i am happy"...now the latest is... "I have a PhD professor in his late 30s, never married, kind of weird he never married but he is a great guy, what do you think? want to meet him?" As I choke on her deliciously fried salmon, I look at my mother...she is completely serious!

It was pretty common place for desi moms to make their sons get married to "settle down"...but in my family my younger brother is getting married and is very settled down with a great job and very responsible financially and otherwise. I, the older daughter, am a complete disaster. At 27, I have no steady job, no permanent home of my own, did not go to school for a MA/PhD and decided to live a bohemian lifestyle. Doing what I please and whatever makes me happy. Its a major thorn on her side to not see me "settle down"! Apparently, in her mind, marriage is the only thing to make me settle!

Well, to be completely fair...she has given the option of getting married OR going back to school. I can't do neither..it absolutely has to be one or the other. Sadly, I am not interested in either right now..thus an impasse with my darling mother!

Major price of coming home...my mother driving me bonkers with her ideas of what is a "good" life vs. what I have chosen as a lifestyle.

For the chicken curry and fried fish...I think I can put up with it for two weeks...I hope...

No comments:

Post a Comment