Today I Am

My Unkymood Punkymood (Unkymoods)

Friday, January 5, 2007

Goa Part 2

A perfect vacation equals lots of sleep, lots of good food, and lots of good….well for this trip I will say - reading!

Candolim looks a lot like Miami in structure…meaning one long main road and along the strip are hotels, spas, restaurants, bars, street vendors, etc…just everything is very rustic and folksy rather than 1920s Art Deco of Miami. The cuisines of the restaurants are varied as the tourist vacationing in the spot. You have traditional Goan food, Indian, Chinese, German, Italian…you name it, they will have it. Pork is one thing that’s plentiful in Goa and cooked in every possible fashion. According to the tourist and local lingo, if you visit Goa more than three times, you are on your way to becoming a Goan!

The next morning I finally wake up at 7:00 AM and kiss the sun as it rises. Since all my friends had partied the night before, instead of disturbing my slumber, they had all gone ahead and spent the night at the apartment and left me behind at the hotel. I didn’t mind the least bit! I woke up, washed off all the oil from the massage the day before and put on a bathing suit and headed off to the beach. It was still a little cool as the sun was coming up. The shore line was full of early morning joggers and couples taking a morning walk. I decided to walk a bit along the shore and as the sun started to get warmer the beach side shacks had opened up and layout the lounge chairs, I decided to take a break and sun bathe. It was blissful. I took a wade in the cool water and lay down in the chair with my book to keep me company. As the waves crashed it brought with it some wisps of cool breezes. It was absolutely perfect.

I had picked up a random book in Bangalore from a street vendor. The title had drawn me The Company of Women by Khushwant Singh. I sat in the sun and read and listened to the waves crashing.

It was soon almost noon and the other friends had started to wake up. One of them came out to the beach hunting me. We went back to the room and transferred all our bags to the apartment. It was such an adorable place! Thank goodness it was air-conditioned!

Goa can get very crowded and transporting from one place to next can become challenging...so we rented 3 motorcycles. Best investment ever! I LOVE riding on bikes and have been trying to learn how to ride since I was 15. but fear of breaking my dancing legs if i fell has kept me from it. This time I am determined to ride one. Hopefully get one in next couple of years too.

So after, we moved and settled in, we started with the drinking. Then headed to the beach for sun, surf, massage and grub. Had an awesome time on the beach. A lady sitting behind us started scolding her sun for like10 min and everyone around got really quite. It was a British women with an adopted thai boy of about 4 years. The poor kid was being harassed by the mother to say sorry to another boy and lil boy kept saying sorry to his mom. The mother would not let up. I hate it when children are mentally abused like that. I couldn't take it another minute and disrupted her by sitting infront of them and saying "can I be of any help?" The mother snapped to mind my own business, rightly so. So I left and went back to my chair. Now, her anger was directed at me and she was yelling behind my back. I didn't care, I went on eating and drinking. At least, the little boy got a rest from the woman. Thankfully, she left soon after and we continued to have a good time.

We somehow managed to teeter back to the room and get dressed for a night of partying. These guys love to party. So party we did! The best was the motorocycle rides!The cool wind and clear skies and fresh (well dusty) air...nothing quite like it!



No comments:

Post a Comment